12,000m² arts centre
The shipyard quarter is an area of great historical significance in Gdansk. Flanked by the so-called ‘Road to Freedom’ to the east and the Vistula to the north, it is also positioned immediately next to the shipyards where the Solidarity union was founded. The site has been completely cleared, with the exception of the U-boot building which was constructed by the Germans in 1940 and is now listed. This will be refurbished as an arts centre that will, together with the adjacent Solidarity and Second World War museums, become a key generator for an entire new quarter. Discussions are currently underway with the city, adjoining landowners and other stakeholders to ensure that the site will be developed in coordination with the area as a whole.